It's my birthday and I'll shop if I want too...
It's my birthday and I'll drink if I want too...
Ya know, the important things.
So starting today I have one year left in my 20s. Oh, I mean, I'll be 29 forever...
I literally just got off the phone with my much younger brother and he said, so what are you 28? I said, no twenty niiiiiine. And he was like, WHOA, really!?! 29!?!
Above is one of my childhood (obviously) birthday parties. My mom slaved over that Rainbow Brite cake with a rainbow coming out that she hand frosted. My little ornery sister took her finger right across my rainbow frosting and put it in her mouth. I. WAS. LIVID. You can't see it because it was on the other side, but it's a funny story, and that was a pretty sick cake. And did you know the recently redesigned Rainbow Brite... gotta be honest, a little too Lisa Frank for me. I loved Lisa Frank, but want the old school cartoons to stay old school!
More embarrassing photos after the jump.
About 29. I mean there is a giant difference between 28 and 29. 9 is so... ending of a decade. But it's cool, I'm totally cool. Not freaking out at all. :/
No really, I think most things get better with time and therefore I don't care about getting older (ask me again in 10 years). People, relationships, men. Can we discuss... what is it with men!?! They get more handsome every year (my hot Mr. included, well that's mainly who I'm talking about besides obviously George), and us women well, I mean it's just a lot to keep up with. When I think about the time I spend "getting ready" or "preventing wrinkles" or well, pedicures are pretty sweet so that doesn't count, but it's a lot of freaking time for all that getting ready! Women can't just workout in the middle of the day without a shower, WE HAVE TO GET READY AGAIN! Too much time.
Back to the age thing, every birthday I get introspective. I can be very hard on myself, but it drives me and that's just who I am. My expectations are very high for myself, and I won't be satisfied until I'm there, and I always feel like I could do more to get there. I do need to work on being in the present because I want/need to live life now, but at least I'm aware of that. I'm always looking for personality traits to work on, and I've got several that are my words for this year. That's another entire post.
For your enjoyment I've included a few photos of previous birthdays. Sorry Erin (my sister) this is gonna get embarrassing.
I think this was my 2nd birthday. My cousin Adam's birthday is just a few days before mine, so we frequently celebrated together. Hello Sesame Street party! Again, pretty sweet cake my mom frosted. That must have been the year I received my coveted ginger Cabbage Patch Kid, Francis. I learned to french braid on Francis. Let's be honest, the older ones are way better than the new ones they have now.
1. Remember when ribbon barrettes were all the rage? My mom made us so many!
2. AND we had puff painted jean jackets. So cool. Mine was southwestern themed (I guess that was cool back then?). My mom was obviously crafty, hence the artist in me.
3. We would frequently celebrate with breakfast before school at McDonald's (the glory days of Mc-E-D's in my opinion). Hot cakes of course. I ALWAYS spilled my syrup everywhere, but I refused to let anyone else open it for me and I'd get it all over myself. Pretty sure this day was no exception. Why? Why are kids so weird?
4. Balloon barrettes too! No shortage of barrettes at our house.
5. Why? Why did put the tennis racquet over my face? I was really freaking excited about that hot pink tennis racquet. Wish I would have played through high school... same with piano... hindsight is always 20/20.
There's no number for this, but ummm haircuts? Yikes.